Paid Industry Placement*
Paid Industry Placement*
What is the PIHMS Industry Placement?
- Earn up to $30,000 during your study on a paid industry placement throughout your study
- Students are given a job and placed into leading hotels all over New Zealand & Australia (for those students eligible to work in Australia)
- PIHMS will find a job for you! - All placements are organised by the PIHMS Industry Placement team.
- For international students PIHMS will organise a Variation of Conditions (VOC) to your study visa which will allow students fulltime hours during their Industry Placements
PIHMS industry placement in Hayman Island
This short video features PIHMS students Allie Blackwood and Luke Roozendaal living the life on Hayman Island Australia, as part of their Industry Placement .
"We are pleased to welcome PIHMS students on placements with the hotel. This on-the-job training gives students a great deal of practical knowledge and experience, learnt from our hospitality culture and our guests. After this training, students are in a better position to truly understand the fundamental principles of international hospitality management, in a deluxe boutique hotel environment, like the duxton."
Chau Thi Be, HR Manager, Duxton Hotel - Saigon
"Sudima Hotels & Resorts has forced an ongoing successful partnership with PIHMS recruiting for internships and graduates. As one of the NZ’s Iconic hotel brands, we strive to ensure our colleagues are engaged at all levels of our business with passion and energy. We listen and do the little things that make a difference to our people and our guests. Our Hotels have a number of current and graduate PIHMS students who are in Leadership and Senior Management positions. The caliber of students continue to exhibit a level of dedication, loyalty, hard work and passion - which is what hospitality is all about!"
Maree Judd, Director of Human Resources NZ - Sudima Hotels & Resorts
"At Four seasons, we pride ourselves on our talented, service-driven, standards focused employees. PIHMS understands our organisation and attracts students of a high calibre that we can help train to the highest industry standards. We have had the pleasure of accommodating several students at the hotel for Industry Placement, and look forward to welcoming many more PIHMS students in the future. A recent PIHMS graduate, who spent 12 months here as a Management Trainee, is now working as Assistant Manager in our Front Office department."
Suzy Hori, Assistant Manager Human Resources, Four Seasons Hotel - Sydney
"PIHMS was the perfect start to my hospitality career. Being able to live in a simulated hotel and experiencing all areas of a hotel whilst studying is a huge advantage.
My industry placements provided experience that counted as soon as I graduated and started work. I loved my time spent on campus, both through academic and practical studies, and taking on extra responsibilities as Student President was another learning curve that has proved to be of great value to my career development.
The PIHMS degree is very well recognised in the industry, and anyone who is wanting a career in hospitality should be assured that PIHMS is of such high quality that you will have the best kick start to your career possible."
Brad Davidson, Front Office Supervisor, Millennium Hotel and Resort, Taupo
Follow your dream of a career in hotel/Hospitality management. Achieve this by being part of the PIHMS Industry Placement programme to ensure you secure your future in the Hospitality Industry.
*Conditions of Industry Placement
To be eligible for Industry Placement you must:
• Fulfil all the requirements specified by PIHMS for the programme of study.
• Agree to be bound by the Regulations of PIHMS (subject to amendments).
• Tuition Fees for the Programme must be received by PIHMS on or before commencement date.
Industry Placement and Covid 19
The impact of travel and boarder restrictions from Covid-19 has reduced the demand significantly for Hotels. This includes our partner hotels where students are placed for their Industry Placements. As demand for hotel employees have been affected, this has had an impact on PIHMS students Industry Placement.
Current situation and Conditions – Updated August 2020
With there being a surge of domestic travel, we have seen an increase in demand, and our PIHMS Students are being placed at Hotels around New Zealand.
The Industry Placement team at PIHMS has had to adapt elements to the Industry Placement, so that it can meet the demands of hotels in the current environment. This may look different for each individual student based on the different hotels requirements, and the timing of a student’s enrolment.
To allow students to continue with their studies and complete their Industry Placement, students need to be aware of the following conditions during Covid-19 times:
- The Length of Industry Placement may be reduced, while ensuring performance competencies are still met.
- Industry Placement location is limited to New Zealand.
- PIHMS will match students with Industry Placement Hotels to ensure there is a good fit for the Hotel requirements based on the Students personality and ability. Students need to be aware they will not be able to select the location.
- The industry placement for some Degree students may be carried out in one industry placement, where students gain experience and competencies across multiples roles and departments.
- If Covid-19 reduces the demand for Industry Placement students, Degree students may be required to complete their industry placement at different stages of their study. They may be required to continue with their study and complete the Industry Placement when it becomes available.
- As the industry recovers students are expected to take placements as and when they become available.
- Should the Covid-19 situation continue long term, PIHMS may consider alternatives to industry placement enabling students to gain the appropriate work experience to become competent for entering industry.
PIHMS Intake Dates
Enrolment Dates 2021
- 25 January 2021
- 19 April 2021
- 5 July 2021
- 27 September 2021
Enrolment Dates 2022
- 24 January 2022
- 18 April 2022
- 4 July 2022
- 26 September 2022
Vacation Dates 2020/2021
- 19 December 2020 - 31 January 2021
- 10 April 2021 - 25 April 2021
- 3 July 2021 - 11 July 2021
- 18 September 2021 - 3 October 2021
- 11 December 2021 - 30 January 2022