Postgraduate Diploma in Hotel Management Level 8
Postgraduate Diploma in Hotel Management Level 8
- Level: 8
- Credits: 121
This course will provide students key business, hospitality skills and knowledge through 30 weeks of lecture style delivery. Students will also receive real life hotel operations learning in either food and beverage or room division. After successful completion of on campus operations, students will enter the paid industry placement program. Positions will either be in food and beverage or rooms division at top hotels in New Zealand.
Management and Commerce, Business and Management, Hospitality Management
The successful graduates will demonstrate advanced knowledge and skills in the fields of business planning, financial management, and product development as related to the Hospitality Industry, and principally the Hotel sector. The graduate will have knowledge and skill in operations planning, human resource management, accountancy, logistics and production management, marketing and communications.
Guaranteed Paid Industry Placements through the PIHMS Industry placement programme lead to excellent pathways into fulltime employment for graduating students.
Applicants require an appropriate Bachelor Level 7 degree in either business, management or a related hospitality area. Degrees in other disciplines may be considered if the applicant has 2 - 3 years relevant hospitality experience at a supervisory level, or equivalent. In addition, applicants for whom English is not their first language will have an IELTS score of 6.5, or equivalent. (no band score lower than 6). This course will provide graduate diploma students key business, hospitality skills and knowledge while being immersed in the PIHMS hotel environment.
|Weeks 1-10||10 Weeks academic study ? Business management studies on PIHMS campus includes lecture style delivery group discussion and introduction to research projects.
|Weeks 12-21||10 Weeks academic study ? Business management studies on PIHMS campus includes lecture style delivery group discussion and research projects.
|Weeks 24-33||10 Weeks academic study - Business management studies on PIHMS campus includes lecture style delivery group discussion and research projects.
Examination and presentation of research reports are undertaken at the conclusion of this module.
|Weeks 35-44||10 Weeks operational (practical) training within the PIHMS Hotel environment. During the enrolment period students will be invited to select your elective (after discussion and consultation with the PG co-ordinator) in the operational departments at PIHMS. Operational departments for elective include: food & beverage or rooms division (front office & housekeeping).
Text Book Requirements
Set Textbook Requirements
Textbook Requirements for 2016 - please click the PDF image below:
Second hand books
Second hand books you must organise yourself. Any help needed with ordering new books then the library will be pleased to help you.
What does set text mean?
Set texts are the textbooks you will need to do your courses efficiently. The PIHMs Library is not able to lend you a set text. The purchase of textbooks is your own responsibility. You can order your text books from any supplier but we offer a suggestion below.
How do I order my textbooks?
- Go to TextbooksRUs (www.textbooksrus.co.nz). You will need to register to create an account
- Choose your Year Group under the PIHMS logo from the front page of the website.
- Select and add titles to your shopping cart. Complete payment using either Internet banking, or a credit card or debit card (debit cards can be purchased from New Plymouth Post Shop).
- Postage is $8.50 no matter how many items are ordered. There is a possibility this may be wavered if there is a bulk purchase by PIHMS students
PIHMS Postal Address
PIHMS (Pacific International Hotel Management School)
4 Henwood Road
Bell Block 4372
How long will my order take?
- Single book deliveries will normally be sent by Courier post and will usually be delivered the next working day.
- Multiple book orders will usually be delivered in 1-2 working days. Please note that prices and editions are subject to change at any time.
- Changes to prescribed course texts maybe made at the onset of a new semester. Delivery Scheduleswill be updated to reflect changes.
Ajay Vaid (Indian) – Postgraduate Diploma in Hotel Management
General Manager – Pullman Palm Cove Sea Temple Resort & Spa (Australia)
- Ajay has been with Accor since November 2003, when he commenced at the Novotel and Ibis Ellerslie, New Zealand after completing his studies at the Pacific International Hotel Management School.
- Ajay moved to Australia in 2005 and joined the Accor’s Darling Harbour and Sydney Olympic Park hotels before embarking on Accor’s Management Trainee program in March 2007.
- Ajay was appointed to the role of General Manager at the All Seasons Kalgoorlie in March 2009 and then at the All Seasons Perth in June 2011.
- In February 2012, Ajay was appointed to his most recent role as General Manager at the Novotel Atrium Darwin. Ajay is currently the GM for a five-star resort in Queensland Pullman Palm Cove Sea Temple Resort and Spa.
PIHMS Intake Dates 2018
Enrolment Dates 2018
- 5 February 2018
- 23 April 2018
- 16 July 2018
- 1 October 2018
Vacation Dates 2018
- 16 December 2017 - 11 February 2018
- 21 April 2018 - 29 April 2018
- 7 July 2018 - 22 July 2018
- 29 September 2018 – 7 October 2018
- 15 December 2018 – 18 February 2019
Click the image below for a copy of the Student Handbook